Learn All About the Benefits of Latex & How to Select the Perfect Firmness
Have questions? Please give FoamSource a call at 800-255-0181. Our knowledgeable sales staff is happy to help!
Shopping for a new latex mattress or topper is not something to be taken lightly. There are a number of vendors, and many believe "greenwashing" is a valid advertising technique.
What is Latex?
On top of being Eco-friendly and biodegradable, a latex mattress supplies a superb sleeping surface, relieving pressure points with outstanding support that many find superior to memory foam. The natural latex mattress is clearly a wonderful choice for the consumer and for the environment.
The advantages of a latex mattress...
- The natural latex mattress provides support where it is needed most by contouring to the body's natural contours. It relieves pressure points, particularly at the shoulders and hips allowing for better circulation, and in consequence, less tossing and turning for a deeper more restful sleep.
- The independent cell construction of latex foam is not prone to transfer movement, allowing two people to comfortably share the same bed without disrupting each other with every motion.
- His and Her sided beds are easy to construct, using a different firmness in either core or topper. Latex will respond differently, depending on body size and weight, and many couples prefer a different firmness in their ideal mattress.
- The topper layer, while still enclosed in the mattress cover, will fine tune the feel to your sleeping preferences, and can easily be exchanged to ensure you feel as comfortable as possible when it matters most.
- Integrating an open cell structure with a pin core design allows the mattress to breath, essential for removing excess heat and moisture that can prevent a good night's sleep.
- For those who struggle with allergies latex mattresses present a safe haven as they are naturally hypoallergenic, and anti-microbial. This means that molds, mildew, and dust mites that might trigger allergies will not be waiting for you in a latex mattress!
- A naturally resilient and durable material, many consumers are becoming aware of the benefits of a all natural latex mattress. Latex foam provides a material for bedding that can easily be used in custom mattresses, perfect for boats and RVs.
Compare all FoamSource latex mattresses!
Two distinct processes are used to create latex for mattresses...
The Talalay Process
Most agree that the plushest and most comfortable natural latex is the Talalay process because of its consistency and feel, both in the core and the topper layer.
First, the raw liquid latex is whipped with curing agents and additives into a froth. Next, the appropriate amount of latex froth is injected into the mold. All of the air is then vacuumed out causing the latex to expand and perfectly distribute itself throughout the mold.
The latex is then flash frozen to -20F to prevent any settling that may occur. Carbon Dioxide (CO2) is then introduced to cause the mixture to gel. Finally, the latex is vulcanized at a temperature of 220F until it has cured.
The Nu-Lex All Natural Talalay Latex Mattresses - Starting at $1099.00Our Family of Nu-Lex mattresses feature the finest available all natural Talalay latex encased in a premium organic cotton cover with natural Eco Wool batting.
All Natural Talalay Latex Topper - Starting at $239.00The All Natural Talalay Latex Topper is the captain of our all natural latex line, boasting the impressive comfort and resilience of natural latex in the convenient and affordable form of a topper.
The Dunlop Process
The Dunlop process is similar to the Talalay process except that the mold is filled to the brim and there is no vacuum or freezing stage. The Dunlop process can create a firmer feeling, denser product, with a somewhat less even distribution of latex.
As the Dunlop process as been refined, a Dunlop latex mattress provides all of the benefits of 100% natural latex, at a lower cost, while still providing the unequaled comfort that has made the latex mattress so popular.
The Natural Slumber All Natural Dunlop Latex Mattresses - Starting at $949.00The Natural Slumber Latex Mattresses feature all natural Dunlop latex, with an all natural Talalay topper layer (8" model only), encased in premium organic cotton covers with natural Eco Wool batting.
The Natural Lux All Natural Dunlop Latex Mattresses - Starting at $699.00The Natural Lux Latex Mattress features all natural Dunlop latex encased in a premium organic cotton cover.
The Natural Slumber All Natural Crib Mattresses - Starting at $449.00Since 1985, Foamsource has encouraged the use of all natural latex for both the safest and most comfortable sleeping surface for your infants.
Natural Slumber 100% Natural Dunlop Topper - Starting at $209.00The Natural Slumber Dunlop Topper offers a safe and affordable solution for unsurpassed sleeping comfort, providing a comfortable conforming layer to gently cradle your entire body.
The cover is equally important in a premium all natural latex mattress...
It can be easy to overlook the broad spectrum of materials used to make latex mattress covers. Very basic, cheap materials make the price look good, but do nothing to improve the feel or performance of the latex mattress.
Wool presents a naturally breathable and anti-microbial medium, quilted to organic cotton covers, in the best natural latex mattresses. It's a natural fire-retardant, meaning no chemicals in your mattress cover!
Wool is unmatched in its ability to control body temperature, providing a restful nights sleep. Look for the highest quality natural wool when purchasing a natural latex mattress. Organic cotton breaths well and is very environmentally friendly.
Know the sources of high quality latex and be certain that they are certified...
In the latex mattress industry there are few manufacturers producing consistent, high quality latex for use in latex mattresses. Considering the durability and extended warranties offered for latex mattresses, it’s worth the cost to purchase latex that you are certain comes from well established latex manufacturers such as Latex International or Latexco (Latex Green). Both companies have maintained an excellent reputation for quality and consistency and certify both their 100% natural and blended latex.
Look out for lower cost latex such with manufacturing and distribution from overseas. It is a common practice for producers of lower cost latex to add a silica fill that can amount to more than 15% of the content of their latex, which can also be completely synthetic. Latex mattresses made with cheaper latex foam will not provide the same feel, support, or longevity as latex mattresses constructed from quality material.
Buyers beware! Many mattresses from major manufacturers are "latex" in name only...
Many major mattress manufacturers are now producing "latex" mattresses due to the huge increase in their popularity. In many models an all synthetic latex core, having none of the qualities of natural latex, is then topped with a wide range of topper layers. Make certain you know how and where the latex is used in the mattress, and, more importantly, verify the type of latex and the manufacturer.